Sunday, February 1, 2009

A First Taste

So, my little hybrid babies got their first taste of live food today!

I went over to Absolutely Fish to pick up some Anacharis for all of my tanks, and I decided I'd pick up some Blackworms as well. (I also picked up a Polypterus delhezi, but that's beside the point.) So, when I got home I added the plants to all the tanks, and then went about dropping a few small portions of Blackworms into the various hybrid tanks. Man, as soon as those worms hit the top of the water the babies came out from every possible hiding spot. And some of them were "jumping up" trying to snag the worms as they floated to the bottom of the tanks. All the worms that were added to the tanks were gone in a few minutes, it was hilarious. All these little tiny juveniles wrestling with these worms, it's really rather cute. Anyway, now I have little hybrids munching down the Anacharis I added, so we'll see how long that lasts until there's nothing left but shreds. 

I'm glad to see they're taking to a variety of food, including live food. Some species of crayfish won't accept live food or certain plants, and some won't once they've gotten a taste of prepared foods (pellets, veggies, meat scraps, etc). Those are called "Pain In The Ass" crayfish, which getting threatened with a boiling pot quite often. 

Here's one tank of juveniles that are sniffing around for any remaining worms hiding amongst the plants and gravel. Hungry, hungry crayfish!


No comments:

Post a Comment