Saturday, February 7, 2009

Odd Friends and Odd Temperaments

So, today is just a day of "odd":

1.) My male (orange morph) Procambarus clarkii has suddenly become highly aggressive. Every time I come anywhere near his tank, he'll come out of whatever hiding spot and charge up to the glass. He'll wave his claws up in the air and posture aggressively, and if I keep approaching he'll smack his claws against the glass. I miss his little "food dance" when I used to come by his tank and when he didn't feel the need to try and pinch me when I needed to collect him. Grr. I wonder if it has to do with the mating, since he was his normal passive self before then. Hmm. 



2.) My Polypterus has made an odd friend. Aside from the Hoplo it follows around, it now sleeps nestled under my most aggressive crayfish, Nippy (P. alleni male). Nippy was originally on one side of the divider and my Poly on the other with the Hoplo, but both found ways to repeatedly get to the other side. So, the divider is now gone. Anyway, Nippy is known for chasing down and trying to eat ANYTHING that enters his water, and yet, this Poly can nestle up under him, swim through his claws, swim under or on top of him and nothing happens. He just rearranges his claws in a crossed position on top of the sleeping Poly. Very strange. Now, this isn't going to last much longer, as I don't trust Nippy for anything, but until I move the Poly in a few days, this is their odd arrangement and behavior. 



That aside, I picked up a bunch of Mollies and Platys from someone local on Aquariacentral.com today. I'm going to use them to breed feeders for my crayfish and Poly to eat. Real nice lady and real awesome fish. I almost feel bad about using them as feeders (especially the black and white spotted onces) because they're so cute. But I got enough of them that hopefully they'll breed quick enough to not disappear in entirety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment